Rowlinsons Banner Image

Long Term Care

The compassionate team of solicitors at Rowlinsons are experienced in handling Long Term Care, and the impact it may have on property and assets. We can be by your side to ensure that you receive expert legal advice that is suited to your needs.

Get in touch

  • No Obligation Initial Telephone Call
  • Fixed Fees Available
  • Law Society Excellence Award Winners
  • Experts in handling Long Term Care
  • STEP Qualified Professionals

Care Home Fees Solicitors

As you get older you or a loved one may need to go into long-term residential care. Your assets, including your home, can be used to pay for nursing home fees. That’s why it’s essential to put in place an effective plan as soon as possible to cover the costs while protecting your wealth for future generations.

It’s never too early to plan for the future, but it’s all too easy to put it off. Take the time to get organised and arrange your affairs now, so you can save stress later on. Should the need for long-term care be imminent then the team at Rowlinsons can provide practical help with managing the impact of residential care fees.

We can advise on all matters relating to long-term care such as:

  • Covering the cost of residential care homes
  • Managing your wealth efficiently to protect your assets
  • Setting up trusts
  • Creating and updating wills
  • Planning for decisions you might not be able to make with lasting power of attorney
  • Resolving disputes with local authorities
  • Accessing benefits and care funding you may be entitled to.


Planning to pay for residential care

Paying for long-term care is a heavy financial burden as weekly costs mount up. Care home fees vary depending on the nature and level of care needed, the location of the care home and the facilities available. The average weekly price of a residential care home is £800 per week and it is typically even more expensive when nursing care is provided.  

If you have more than £23,250 in capital then it’s likely you will be asked to fund the care home yourself. Most people don’t have sufficient income to cover these costs, and often they will have to draw on savings or assets to pay for their care. That’s why it’s important to start planning as soon as possible so you can fully understand your options, get help protecting your assets and still have money to pass on.


Long-term care planning solicitors

Rowlinsons Solicitors is an award-winning full-service law firm in the UK, here to provide you with the very best legal support no matter what the challenges.

Our dedicated estate planning team includes specialist long-term care solicitors who offer expert advice when you need it most. Over the years, we’ve helped thousands of people effectively plan for the future.

In 2018 we received the Excellence in Private Client Award by the National Law Society. Rowlinsons Solicitors was also awarded Highly Commended in the Boutique Private Client Team of the Year category at the British Wills and Probate Awards 2023.

Our experienced and highly skilled team includes members of STEP (the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners) highlighting our technical know-how and expertise in this specialist area of law.

You will have the dedicated support of a qualified solicitor throughout the entire process, and direct access to that individual when you need to talk. If you want clear, practical help to best support your long-term care planning, contact us today. The team at Rowlinsons can provide advice and practical help on managing the impact of residential care fees.

To make an appointment please call 01928 735 333 or click here for a call back.

Will I be charged for long-term care?

Depending on how much you own in savings and assets you may have to pay for your own care home fees. If you need to go into a care home, a financial assessment (known as a means-test) will be made to identify whether you or the state are eligible to pay.

The local authority will consider things like the value of your home, savings, investments, pensions, and income. The amount of savings you can have before you need to pay depends on where you live in the UK.

In England, if you own more than £23,250 in capital, you’ll likely be asked to fund the care home yourself. For savings and assets between £14,250 - £23,250, you will be assessed as if you have an income with every £250 over the £14,250 threshold assessed as receiving income of £1 per week.

If you own £14,250 or less, or your savings dip below that amount once you start paying for care, then funding is available. You will be reassessed and some or all of your costs may be covered by the local authority.

You do not have to go through a financial assessment, but if you decline the means testing then you will be automatically eligible to cover the full cost of your care.

Can I get help with care home fees?

If you require residential care the local authority has a duty to assess your needs and you can ask them for a means test to see if you qualify for assistance.

Suppose you have financial resources above the current capital limit of £23,250. In this case, you’ll have to fund your care from income or savings. You can request a reassessment when your resources are reduced and if eligible the council will then contribute a greater share.

This means you can only get help with care home fees once your capital and savings drop below a certain level. This might be a concern for you if you had hoped to leave something behind for your family to inherit.

Will I have to sell my home?

Your house will be considered as part of the means test when you have to go into care. There are some exceptions such as when your spouse or civil partner is still living there.

If your home is included in the means test, it will be ignored by the council in their calculations for the first 12 weeks of permanent care, giving you the chance to consider what to do with it.

Many people don’t want to sell their family home. Giving it away to a family member might seem like a way to exclude it from the means test and keep your home within the family. However, this could be seen as a deliberate deprivation of assets, which means you’d still have to pay the same care home fees as if you still owned your home.

One way to delay selling your home would be to set up a deferred payment agreement with the local authority, known as placing a charge on your property. This means the local council agrees to pay for your care now on the condition that they will be repaid from the sale of your property at a later date.

If you want to hold onto your family home, should you need to go into residential care Rowlinsons can help you understand your options and provide advice on the best way to plan for long-term care.

  • Donna Eland
      • 01928 736671
      • View profile
  • Candice Jones
      • 01928 736711
      • View profile
  • Gemma Kelly
      • 01928 736637
      • View profile
  • Josie Jones
      • 01928 249 763
      • View profile
  • Katie Roberts
      • 01928 736166
      • View profile
  • Laura Goldsmith
      • 01928 736157
      • View profile
  • Megan Chamorro Moris (Renshaw)
      • 01928 736152
      • View profile
  • Peter Gausden
      • View profile
  • Sarah Green
      • 01928 736151
      • View profile

How can a long-term care planning solicitor help?

Laws and regulations surrounding long-term care are continuously evolving and becoming more complex. At Rowlinsons, we aim to make it as easy as possible with clear, effective advice.

We’ll look at your personal and financial circumstances and give you appropriate guidance whether it’s for yourself or on behalf of a loved one.

We can help you with administrative tasks such as drafting a will, creating trusts, or registering an LPA so you can protect your wealth while meeting your care needs.

We can also advise on matters such as state benefits and how to claim other methods of home care funding.

The right legal advice can help avoid or mitigate problems arising from the consequences of having to go into long-term care. There are many big decisions to make but you don’t have to navigate it alone with Rowlinsons by your side to help.


Contact our Long Term Care Solicitors

Our wide expertise in lifetime planning will ensure that the process is as smooth as possible, including reviewing any contracts and ensuring that your loved one is receiving a good quality of care. 

We are a dedicated and approachable team of Wills, Trusts, and Estate Planning Solicitors, and we are on hand to help you no matter how complex the situation. Our legal advisors will work closely with you to minimise the impact on you and your family.

Our expert Solicitors in Cheshire are based in offices within Frodsham and Runcorn (Sutton Weaver), but we support clients in Warrington, Widnes, St. Helens, Chester and Northwich.

To make an appointment please call 01928 735 333 or click here for a call back.