Can I change my childs name / surname?

It is possible for a parent of a child who is under 16 years of age to change a child’s name, including their surname, provided that everyone with parental responsibility signs to provide their consent. A change of name deed, or Deed Poll, can be prepared, and everyone with parental responsibility would need to sign to confirm their consent. If a person with parental responsibility does not provide their consent, an application to Court for a specific issue order may be needed.

To speak to someone about changing the name of a child under 16, please telephone Rowlinsons Solicitors on 01928 735333 and ask to speak with the family department.

Back to FAQs