Rowlinsons Banner Image


News and Events

Do I Need a Financial Court Order for a Divorce?

  • Posted

A financial Court Order is a type of Order that can be made when two people get divorced, or dissolve their civil partnership. It sets out the financial provisions for each party in the divorce or dissolution proceedings.

Decree Absolute is the Order which legally brings to an end a marriage (it is called a Final Order when it is a civil partnership). It does not however end both parties financial settlement claims against the other, which can potentially remain open until a financial Court Order is made.

Re-marriage or entering into a new civil partnership, can potentially affect someone’s ability to apply for financial settlement claims.

It is important to speak to an expert solicitor about your particular circumstances. For more information about financial Court Orders, or if you want to organise a free, initial no obligation consultation, please telephone Rowlinsons Solicitors on 01928 735 333 and ask to speak to the Family Department.